All In A Days Work!

Good Evening Everyone,

                 First off, I hope everyone's holiday went well and everyone enjoyed Martin Luther King Jr. Day. My day went well even with the loud war zone of kid noises coming from the back of the house due to no school. Need I say more. I decided since my kids are home I'll take today to catch up on some kids snacks. I like to alternate when it comes to kids snacks. Sometimes I'll buy prepackaged snacks but if I have the time, I like to make the snacks myself and allow the kids to help. I didn't buy any this month because I chose to replenish my condiments and freezer items instead which would motivate me to make the snacks, not just the sound of my kids asking simultaneously "Can I have a snack?" "Do we have any snacks?" "Mom, can you make us some snacks?"...You get the picture. So below is everything I baked and made today along with the recipe. Please give them a try. All the recipes are easy to follow and easy to make. If you have better patience then me, maybe you'll allow your kids to help you with all or most of them. Good luck and enjoy. I know I did.





*********************************************************************************
Rice Krispies Treats
6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal 
4 Cups Mini Marshmallows
3 Tablespoons Butter
 1 package (10oz) Puffed Marshmallows

Instructions:
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool about 10 minutes. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.




My eldest helped me with this one. He likes to help which is great, but he always forgets cooking and cleaning go hand in hand. So he helped me with the dishes and made these little wonders. The recipe is simple. We made half of the original recipe because I planned on making a few other snacks and they don't eat these as quickly as anything with chocolate or cake. Which brings me to my next snack/dessert.

*********************************************************************************
Banana Pound Cake
3 Cups Sugar
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Butter (softened)
6 Eggs
1 Cup of Mashed Ripe Bananas (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon Banana Extract
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup (8oz) Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt


Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. 
2. Grease and flour two 8x4 loaf pans.
3. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Stir in bananas, vanilla extract, and banana extract.
6. In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda 
7. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream/yogurt, beating until just combined.
8. Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans and bake for 60-70 minutes. 
9. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans.

Banana Glaze
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Banana Extract 
3 Tablespoons Half & Half  



As you can see, I used 3 bananas instead of 2, and I only had about 1/4 cup worth of greek yogurt so I substituted with vanilla yogurt for the rest of 3/4 of the cup needed.




I initially started hand mixing but quickly gave in to the idea of just using my mixer. Before I had this mixer I would absolutely hand mix. We gotta do what we gotta do and use what we have. I also decided to make some banana pound cupcakes along one loaf instead of two. It's easier for little hands and less messy. Anything less messy, I'm in!




Here is the end result which turned out delicious if I say so myself. The pictures don't do justice but just so you know, everything had a nice shine to the tops just like store bought pound cake. 
(Brushes dirt off shoulder)
Moving forward I didn't make the glaze. Sadly I was out of powdered sugar. Honestly I didn't miss it either. I did use some whipped cream on top and that a moment I'll cherish forever. Sigh.




*********************************************************************************

Granola Bars
2 1/2 Cups Old-Fashioned Oats
1/2 Cup Roasted No Salt Whole Almonds, Roughly Chopped
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
1/4 Cup Flax Seeds
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 Sweetened Cranberries
1 (3.5 oz) bar of Dark Chocolate


Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
2. Spread the oats, almonds, chia seeds, and flax seeds on a large baking sheet. Toast the oats for 7-10 minutes or just until slightly golden brown. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and salt. Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar has melted.
4. Pour the sugar mixture over the oats and with a wooden spoon, stir to thoroughly combine, making sure every oat and seed is covered in the sugar mixture. Stir in the dried cranberries.
5. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches over hang on two sides. Spread the mixture evenly in pan, pressing down firmly. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup to press down and really pack the oats, which helps them hold together better.
6. Cover the pan tightly with foil and refrigerate for 2 hours
7. Remove from the pan with the parchment paper and slice into 8 even bars. Set aside.
8. Prepare the chocolate drizzle by melting the chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the bars and then transfer to a freezer on the parchment paper for 10 minutes or until set.
9. To store, wrap the granola bars individually in wax paper or plastic wrap and place in a large Ziploc bag.  





Lastly today I figured I'd make some granola bars to go along the other two snack because my kids are big on snacks both healthy and unhealthy and I wanted just an extra stretch. These have very healthy ingredients but guess what...I didn't have almonds or cranberries or even a bar of dark chocolate. So I had to do what I always do...improvise. (blows on nails in confident stride). Instead of almonds, I used chopped macadamia nuts, instead of cranberries I used pitted dates and lastly, instead of a bar of a dark chocolate, I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Booooom! Drops Mic. 


                                           


All and all its been a very productive day, ending with dinner. You remember that marinated chicken in the fridge...well helllloooo nurse!





It was moist and cooked just right at 375 F degrees for 30 minutes, 180 degree turn and cooked for another 25 minutes. Pure deliciousness.  I landed on mashed potatoes with gravy and peas and corn as sides. I don't peel the potatoes when I make them mashed because I heard there's vitamins in the skin....Okay, who am I kidding...i don't like peeling potatoes and my family doesn't mind. Don't fix it, if it ain't broken. Comfort food at its best; and I'm spent!


Please come back and check out my recipe for bean burgers and homemade potato chips coming soon. I bid you good night and hope to see you again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram